When a woman is pregnant, her body goes through many changes, and she needs to make special changes to her diet and lifestyle to help her baby grow properly.
If you’re pregnant, you might have already started eating healthier foods like whole grains, green vegetables, and fruits to ensure both you and your baby get the right pregnancy diet nutrients.
While most veggies are good for your baby, some, like bitter gourd (karela), may not be the best choice during pregnancy. Let’s find out if it’s safe to eat bitter gourd (karela) during pregnancy.
Is it Okay to Eat Bitter Gourd When You’re Pregnant?
Bitter gourds have lots of good nutrients for pregnant women and their babies, but some people aren’t sure if it’s safe. So, it’s your choice: you can eat them if you want, or you can skip them.
Some studies have looked at how eating bitter gourd during pregnancy can affect moms and their babies. The results are a bit mixed. Some parts of the bitter gourd, like the fruit and leaves, seem to be safe when turned into extracts. They even have vitamin C that helps moms fight off bad germs and stay healthy during pregnancy.
But it’s not all good news. Some parts of bitter gourd, like the seeds and roots, can make the mommy’s stomach move a little too much, like a gentle shake. That’s not good for the baby.
Now, there’s no clear proof that eating bitter gourd is like a superhero power for pregnant moms. It doesn’t seem to directly fix problems during pregnancy or help with staying the right weight.
So, if you’re pregnant and you want to eat some bitter gourd, it’s probably okay every once in a while, and not too much at once. But it’s really important to talk to a doctor first to make sure it’s safe for you and your baby. Always be careful and ask for help from Pregnancy & Maternity Clinic in Mohali or other areas when you’re not sure!
Benefits of Eating Bitter Gourd (Karela) During Pregnancy
The benefits of eating bitter gourd during pregnancy are as follows:
- Super Folate Booster: Best fertility specialist in Chandigarh said that bitter gourd has a lot of folates, which is like a superhero for babies. It helps the babies’ bodies develop properly and stay away from any problems.
- Feeling Full and Healthy: Bitter gourd is like a magic vegetable that makes pregnant women feel full and happy. It stops them from wanting to eat too much junk food so they can stay healthy even when they’re having a baby.
- Stomach Problems No More: Sometimes, pregnant women have stomach problems like being stuck on the toilet for a long time. Bitter gourd helps with these problems and makes them feel better.
- Sugar Control Helper: Bitter gourd is helpful for those pregnant ladies who have too much sugar in their blood. It has special things that can bring the sugar back to normal and keep both mother and baby safe.
Possible Side Effects of Eating Bitter Gourd During Pregnancy
Eating bitter gourd while pregnant can be harmful to the baby. Here are some reasons why:
- Anaemia: Some pregnant women might get sick from bitter gourd because it has something called vicine that can destroy their red blood cells. This could make them very weak and hurt their pregnancy. So, it’s better not to eat bitter gourd during pregnancy. But if you really want to, talk to your best fertility specialist in Chandigarh first and eat just a little bit.
- Toxicity: Bitter gourds have things like Momordica, quinine, and glycosides that can be like poison to your body. They can make your stomach hurt, mess up your eyesight, make you throw up, feel really tired, have sore muscles, feel sick, and even make your mouth make too much spit.
- Stomach Problems: Eating bitter gourd can give you a stomach ache, make it hard to digest food, give you diarrhea, make your belly hurt, and more. Even the seeds of bitter gourd can cause these problems.
- Bleeding: Some experts from trusted pregnancy care in Mohali, Chandigarh say that having bitter gourd juice when you’re pregnant might make your belly squeeze too much and even make you bleed, which could lead to baby death.
Is it safe to eat cooked bitter gourd during pregnancy’s first trimester?
Ans: Consuming cooked bitter gourd (karela) while first trimester of pregnancy, particularly in the early stages, requires careful consideration. Bitter gourd has specific nutrients that may impact pregnancy, so it’s crucial to be aware of possible concerns.
Is it safe to eat bitter gourd during pregnancy in the second trimester?
Ans: Eating bitter gourd during the second trimester of pregnancy requires some careful thinking. It’s really important to talk to your doctors at the best maternity hospital in Chandigarh before you start eating bitter gourd. They can give you advice according to your health and pregnancy. If you decide to have a bitter gourd, just don’t eat too much, and pay attention to how your body feels.
Does bitter gourd contain folic acid?
Ans: Bitter gourd, also known as bitter melon or Momordica Charania, does have a bit of folic acid. Folic acid, also called folate or vitamin B9, is super important for pregnant ladies because it helps keep the baby’s brain and spinal cord healthy and prevents problems with the neural tube.
Does bitter gourd cause miscarriage?
Ans: It is essential to remember that you should eat bitter gourd in small amounts when you’re pregnant. Eating too much can cause digestive problems and might even cause miscarriage. It is a good idea to talk to a doctor of pregnancy hospitals in Mohali before you start eating bitter gourd while pregnant.
In summary, bitter gourd (karela) can provide certain benefits, such as folate for fetal development and potential sugar control, but it also carries risks, including anemia and digestive issues. Pregnant women should consult with healthcare providers like the best maternity hospital in Mohali for personalized guidance, exercise moderation, and prioritizing their well-being and their baby’s health when considering bitter gourd in their diet.